Saturday, April 13, 2013

Birthday Girl

The Fizzy Bear turned one year old this week.  Can't believe my youngest is a year old!  Time flies by so quickly.  I'm the first to admit that I haven't done very much with Fizz as yet but in saying that she is very immature and a touch on the soft side thanks to her father's genes so not rushing her is without a doubt the best thing for her. 

I was a bit worried about her softness to begin with but with patience and lots of rewarding she is now really enjoying her training and loves getting out there.  Getting her to drive to a toy is funny because she bounces to it and then pounces on the toy but she's confident and happy which is what's important.  The extent of her agility training thus far is a jump, tunnel, jump combination (200 height jumps).  The only other thing I've been focusing on is getting her to drive to my side and building value for reinforcement zone.  It's taken a while but for the first time last week she was driving off her hindquaters to my side.  Small steps but all progress.


Colin is going to give herding a try with her.  When she's been running with the other dogs she has been showing a lot of natural herding moves so I think it will be good for her.  Plus it's something that Colin can do with her that won't interfere with her agility training.  Today Colin had a lesson just about moving stock to get the idea and then after the State Trial we'll head back out so Fizz can have a go on sheep for the first time.  I'm hoping it may help with her confidence too.  You never know I may even dust Riot off and put him back on sheep too!



No comments: