Saturday, September 8, 2007

The waiting game

This blog will be following the life of the newest member to join my border collie family, Sonic.

Sonic was born on 4th August 2007 along with 5 other litter mates. He and his siblings are the result of a mating done to try and produce some very special agility dogs for Kriszty my fellow agility competitor, and myself.

His father is Mick who is a farm dog living on a wheat and sheep property in Narembeen. He was selected due to his rather amazing brother Domino. Domino, in my opinion, is the fastest agility dog in Australia. To watch him run an agility course takes your breath away. He was recently clocked at running 10 metres per second over an agility sequence which is totally mind blowing. Mick is a lovely dog and by all accounts is very similar to his brother. He has never done agility but is an incredibly athletic dog and has all the drive in the world. Sonic's mum is Ivanhoe Sally. She belongs to Richard and Sam and was bred to be a three sheep trialling dog. I've always liked this lovely girl from the first time I saw her. Sam and Richard have been kind enough to let Kriszty and I use her to produce this litter.

Originally I wasn't going to get one but after helping track down Mick and talking to Kriszty I decided it was too good an opportunity to turn down. Although I already have four bc's only one is currently competing with the other three living the lazy retired life which involves eating, sleeping, eating some more, going for a run and then off to sleep again...Plus I want to get a fast dog while I'm still phyically able to do what I need to be competitive. No point leaving it until I can't run anymore! So bring it on.

The litter is now five weeks old and according to Sam, getting naughtier by the day. Sam is very impressed with the pups so far and thinks that they are very outgoing. The puppy that will be Sonic is not 100% decided although there appears to be a front runner who is currently known as "Little Man". Sam described him on her blog as "he wasn't always the littlest, but since he's become mobile he is way too busy to eat, so he's become a bit scrawny. He's always the first into everything, the one who gets stuck behind furniture, the one who gets through the fence and off over the hill". Oh boy, I think that maybe I'm going to have my hands full with this little guy!

Sam has kindly created a "Pupdates" blog so Kriszty and I can watch their progress while they grow up on Sam and Richard's farm. We plan on driving down to see them when they turn 7 weeks old and then will have the hard task of actually picking out exactly which puppy we want. At this stage I plan on going with whatever Sam recommends as she is the one who is seeing them everyday and watching their little personalities take shape. I think it will be quite a hard decision!

So for now I will be anxiously awaiting Sam's updates on her blog and totally hanging out to see them in two weeks time.

No comments: