Monday, March 4, 2013

Cassie's First Trial

Finally the moment arrived last night with Cassie's very first run in a competition.  I was surprised by how much more nervous I was than normal, mainly because I just didn't know what to expect.  So I'm very glad I only entered novice jumping as I don't think I could have mentally coped with running in the agility class as well!  I felt pretty confident she would stay with me because she's been training so well but you never really know what's going to happen when you get out there.  I needn't have worried though as she was fantastic.  She was with me all the way, totally focused and enjoying herself.  I think it helped that we had a lovely open and fast course where the dogs could just stretch out and have fun.  I had been telling myself that I had to run with her the whole way and be as close to every jump as possible.  Unfortunately when I got in the ring I went into a bit of auto-pilot and reverted to my border collie handling and of course she came off the tunnel entry and a couple of jumps.  I was pretty annoyed with myself but I just kept going though to make sure it was  nothing but fun for her.

So mission accomplished, first one is done.  I learned a lot and have plenty of things to work on.  I wasn't going to trial her again until the States but I've decided to enter her in novice jumping at the Dobe Club trial in two weeks just to get a bit more ring experience under our belts.  I'd prefer not to leave it all to the States and blow our chances by not being prepared enough.  Then hopefully I can get this A-Frame finished off and she'll be right to hit the agility ring too.  Just so much fun, I can't wait to get out there again with her.

   

Sonic was a good boy and went clear in Masters Agility.  He is running so well for me at the moment and is handling like a real pro.  Unfortunately the poor bugger has been sore in his back all week.  He looked OK but would not drive through the weavers so I can only assume that he's still not 100%.  I wish our dogs would listen to us when we tell them to slow down.  I hate to think what his body is going to be like in another couple of years when he takes so little care of himself.  More treatment this week and hopefully I can get him right for the States. 

No comments: